Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lately

So sorry I haven't been updating about the happenings over on this side of the world. I've been meaning to and finally feel completely over a sickness that seemed to last for way too long. It's nice to be able to breathe again!

I'll start with the weekend before last. I had a four day weekend, but since I was still on antibiotics and not feeling so well, I decided to stay home and get myself better for one of my favorite holidays: Cinco de Mayo! Really, I have to admit its just an excuse to drink margaritas and eat Mexican food, but what can be better than that? A bunch of us went to La Merce, the only "Mexican" food in the area. It is a poor excuse for Mexican food but they do have excellent ritas.

Jillian and the sombrero:

Alicia and I. The beer is good too:)


Mariko and Brandon, some of my favorites:


Having a discussion on the dating rituals of boys:



Although overall a pretty uneventful weekend for being so long, it was nice to chill and relax. I also bought some much needed curtains. Now I am sleeping until AFTER the sun comes up. It can be very bright on the 34th floor, you know.

This last weekend was much more eventful. Alicia and I went to the National Palace in Seoul. It's where the Royal family lived, but it was burned down and torn down by the Japanese on two different occasions(couldn't tell you exactly when, but it was very very long ago). The final restoration was in 1990, and it is very impressive. Supposedly, Koreans are so obsessed with the novelties of American culture that having such a large and sacred part of Korean history restored and kept up is pretty rare and special. It was really really cool. There were a couple museums there we didn't get to explore, so hopefully I'll get back someday. They had a little march by the "Royal Guards" in front. Here are a few of my pictures. I'll try to put the rest of them on facebook ASAP.

The showing of the Royal Guards:




The front of the Palace:


Throughout the day, we kept getting stopped by various students with assignments to perform an interview in English. Here's Alicia getting one. I had just gotten one right before this, and Alicia took my video, so it was only fair that I put this picture on my blog.


The architecture is very cool:
What I would look like as a Royal Guard:

A pagoda:


Kids painting the scenery, so quaint!



Beautiful scenery. This is the party house of the palace. Looks like fun!





After the Palace, of course we couldn't resist some good ol' Korean shopping:



Just kidding. Actually, we did go to the shopping district in Seoul again. Made some very crucial spring purchases. Later, we had Thai food in Itaewon, the part of Seoul where "all the foreigners hang out". Meaning, lots of Army and Air Force people, Indians, Africans, and of course, English Teachers from all over the world. Anyway, its a good place to eat, a sketchy place to go to bars, unless Army boys are your thing. My favorite part of the night was running across this vendor selling overpriced, dirty bracelets and jewelry. In case you can't read the warning, it is prohibiting vendors for setting up there. It warns that they will be severely punished....I wouldn't mess with Korean government either!

Hope you all have a great week!!!

1 comment:

Lois H. said...

Great pictures....you're becoming quite a photographer and travel writer!
the dating rituals of boys... did you learn anything useful?