Saturday, April 11, 2009

old classmates and learning Korean

I meant to write about this earlier, but a couple weeks ago, I got to hang out with some of my old classmates from JBU, David and Kyle. It was great and also a little surreal to see familiar faces from my past in a foreign country. We got some takgalbi--my new favorite Korean food consisting of chicken, cabbage, rice cake, noodles, hot sauce, and other vegetables, all cooked on a giant frying pan in front of you. Delicious. Then, David took us to an "international" party, where we met a lot of interesting people from around the world....actually no, most of the people we met were from Korea. There were also some other English teachers and some Army guys there. It was fun to talk to some new people.

Here we are at the party:

Anyway, David offered to connect me with a girl he knows who is studying to become a Korean teacher for foreigners. We've met 2 times now and Alicia, Mariko and I will start meeting with her weekly to learn Korean. I'm stoked about this! She was amazing last week. She had prepared flashcards of the alphabet and some basic words. I already have learned the basic alphabet and will start to be able to read words! yay! (Don't worry, this isn't actually all that impressive, as the Korean alphabet is pretty simple). Its good to have friends there also as motivation to keep studying. Thanks David! Oh by the way, David is also motivation to learn. Hyemin, my Korean teacher, said that David speaks Korean better than any foreigner she's met. Nice!

1 comment:

David said...

I hadn't looked at your blog in quite some time, and then I find that I've received some effusive compliments here (through Hyemin). Well, what can I do but blush! Glad to hear that the classes are going well, though.

David