Sunday, August 19, 2007

I know how to drive a scooter.

So, if you want to read more about my time in Taiwan, read Bethany's Blog.

This weekend I learned to drive a scooter(don't be mad mom, I wore a helmet). Our scooter is huge, and Bethany went first(she had to since she is older). Bethany and I and our flatmates from South Africa went on adventure through the crazy Hsinchu traffic and rain(yeah, there was a "typhoon" this weekend, no big deal). I sort of came back in one piece. I nearly burned through my shin when I decided it was okay to lean against the exhaust pipe. Don't do that, ever. Its not pretty.

So later when I was driving, we got a little lost and I sort of freaked out a little and ran into another girl on a scooter. the thing about driving in Taiwan is that you can't be concerned about the people coming from behind...that was my mistake. I heard all these people from behind and felt like I needed to watch them as well as those who were in front of me. Now that is just too much to take in. Lesson learned: look ahead at all times. If someone behind you needs your attention, they will honk. Don't doubt it. Anyway, it was more of a nudge than a hit, and she just gave me a look and drove on. It wasn't until later that I discovered a few scratches on my right leg. Nothing that won't go away in a couple days. I wouldn't say this is a good rate to be going at though.

Overall, scooter riding/driving is one of the most fun things I have ever done.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I think I have lost track of all the times you have been snatched from the jaws of death!